Sometimes in an effort to simplify, we can end up doing a lot of really un-simple crafts a la Pinterest. I’m always thrilled when we find something the kids can make as gifts that are truly simple, all natural projects.
This whipped lotion is that kind of project, with only 3 natural ingredients. It was simple enough to motivate our our now 14 year old who made several jars in a few different scents last year for Christmas gifts.
Read through for the full tutorial. Download our free printable labels here – there’s a page for the scents we used, as well as one with blanks to fill in your own faves.
// virgin coconut oil (organic if possible)
// essential oils
// jojoba oil
// kitchen aid mixer or other mixer
// mesh strainer
2/3 cup virgin coconut oil
1/4 cup jojoba oil
+ several drops (5-10 or until it smells how you’d like) of your favourite essential oils
// Rosemary + Mint
1. Place coconut oil in a bowl. If you have a bowl that goes with your mixer, use it here. Note that if you want to add shea butter or, beeswax, or vitamin e, you will want to gently heat up the oil and add those ingredients before continuing on to step 2. The pitfall of doing this is that you have to heat your nourishing coconut oil. This year we are going to try it with a few tablespoons of beeswax added and see how it goes.
2. Chill oil in the fridge for an hour or until really solid.
3. Remove the bowl from the refrigerator, and add your essential oils.
4. Whip the mixture until it is creamy and makes peaks.
5. If your lotion is a bit lumpy you can strain it through a mesh strainer to make it smoother.
6. Scoop it into your jars, clean off the rims, seal, and label. Repeat with other essential oil combinations, if desired!
If you liked this post, also check out our post on Homemade Vanilla, which includes printable labels.
This post was shared as a part of Thank Goodness It’s Monday.