You can feel good about serving this rich and nourishing cocoa to both little ones and adults. Unlike store-bought versions, this recipe is free of refined sugars, oils, and additives. If you’re used to packaged cocoa, you may have to increase the sweetener content and then slowly work your way down. The cinnamon will increase digestion and help to balance blood sugar. Our kids go bonkers over a cup of this cocoa after a good time playing out in the cool of autumn or cold of winter.
• 4 cups whole organic milk, coconut milk, almond milk, or whatever milk is preferred
• 4 tbsp organic, fair trade cocoa powder or cacao powder
• 2 tbsp extra virgin organic coconut oil or coconut butter, optional
• 2-3 tbsp maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, sucanat or panela
• 1 tsp vanilla extract, optional (see our how-to post to make your own)
• 1 tsp cinnamon, optional
Combine ingredients over medium heat. Whisk until well combined and heated through. Top with homemade whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Note that the type of milk used will affect the sweetness. If you use rice milk, for example, you may want to decrease the amount of sweetener since rice milk is fairly sweet on its own.
As your family makes this nourishing and tasty treat more often, you will find that you don’t really need the recipe, and you’ll add ingredients to taste as your group enjoys it.
What is your favourite warm and nourishing drink? Share below in the comments…